I fixed an old window with vintage sewing items

Monday, February 2, 2009

House Work is Never Done...it Just Begun....

Long ago the Ladies not only had to cook and clean
They had to make the warm quilts for there families
To stay warm and most of the quilting was made by
hand....in today's times quilting is mostly a hobby, a craft,

and known as Vintage Art with all their lovely patterns...
They used of days of long ago......Some of their quilts took
Grand First Place Blue Ribbons at the County Fairs.....

















Do you still iron?....
I remember when ironing was a
very important part of housework...

























Some ladies ironed to make extra money...
Note the ladies all wore dresses back then..
I never saw my mother in a pair of pants
She had house dresses with aprons
Then she had nice dresses for going shopping
Then there was her Sunday Dresses
With lovely matching hats....
The times have sure change in 50 years...





















Hanging clothes out on the clothes line
That is before the house dryers....
Hanging clothes was a time to get know your neighbor
Funny how I remember it was so important to have
All the white clothes looking so fresh and clean
No clothes lines are seen much at homes but...
There was a time long ago no home was without one...



















Never a saying so true was this one
I can't say that all the cleaning
will get ever get done
but I know it has just begun!

3 comments:

Susie Mitchell said...

It's about time you updated! LOL I love this...memories of such a dreary old job. I still have to iron...love that 100% cotton. I remember before I was old enough to go to school, Mama would sprinkle the clothes...just water from a pan and dip her hand in and sprinkle water over the clothes...then wad and tuck them into balls to set and let the dampness go all through them before she ironed.
Hugs, Sue

Anonymous said...

What a great post! Reminds me of my Grandma, she had to her chores on the right day, and remember her so many days with the laundry, iron and that sprinkle can for water. I'd love to find one of those...for decor, only! haha. She never wore pants till the last 10 or so years of her life, but always heels...after wearing heeled shoes since childhood, she couldn't walk flat footed...ouch! Anyway, thanks for visiting my blog and the nice comments...stop by my shops anytime, lol
Kath

Barbara Jean said...

I found you at Suzie Mitchell's, and so glad i did.
Only checked out your vintage things on Flicker so far, but love them!!

Will check out your other sites now.

I'm having a bird nest giveaway on my blog if you want to join in. Drawing Feb 10th.

Blessings,

Barbara Jean